When choosing accommodation, choose one which makes a continuous effort to take care of the environment, including their surroundings.
- The best benchmark is if the accommodation location is eco-labelled with, for example, Green Key, which is an international certification. Different labels verify that the business is guided by experts in the field and are conscious of their responsibility to take care of the environment. Be aware that some labels can be ordered directly online without any checks or audits.
- Read about the accommodation on its website. Is the information trustworthy?
- Call and ask about sustainability efforts.
- Some search engines can search for green and sustainable accommodations either by clicking on a check mark or by viewing information about a specific accommodation.
- If you book through a travel agency, ask them about the accommodation's sustainability efforts.
- Praise, reward and be loyal to green businesses and select them again for your next stay. This will encourage them to do more to protect the environment.